Monday, December 29, 2008

My First Thanksgiving...

...or how I became friends with Jake, Colin, and Ross. This is the story of Thanksgiving 2007. I worked at Panda Express, and was given a turkey at Thanksgiving by the management. In spite of the fact that I was spending Thanksgiving alone, I decided to cook the twelve-pound bird. I figured I was a semi-experienced cook and it would be a breeze. I was slightly incorrect in that assumption and have since repented for my pride and presumptiousness. Even though I'd taken physics, I forgot Newton's law of cooling (or in this case, thawing). It takes longer than a day to thaw 12 pounds of turkey in the refrigerator, and I had too much food safety experience to thaw it on the counter (perish the thought!), so there I was, Thanksgiving morning, standing over the sink running this thing under cool water to thaw. De repente, there's a knock on the door. Normally I like to answer the door; not only because it's more formal, but also because I don't want to give a derelict invited access to my house. However, with a partially-frozen bird on my hand, I just shouted "come in!" Thankfully, it was not a derelict, but Jake, followed by Colin. Being much stronger than I, they helped me thaw the bird and forcefully remove the plastic thingy from the legs. I was so grateful that I had them over for Turkey Enchilada Casserole the following Sunday, and thus the friendship began. And now I've left them forever...sadness. But this post is a tribute/congratulations to Jake, who is getting married in 2 days! Congrats pal!

No comments: